Friday 1 October 2021

NASA!!! SPACE FOOD!!!






The children in Korimako were given a couple of options about what they wanted to study this term for inquiry and an overwhelming amount were interested in the science of food.

So, this term we have all been learning about food science, food mould, preserving food, food storage and experiments with food. 

The last part of our learning was this awesome visit from Anne-Marie. Anne-Marie is the New Zealand ambassador for NASA in the USA. She goes around schools to teach components related to space and space travel. This time, she kitted the children up in space suits and taught us all about the process for dehydrating and sending food into space. There were examples of the types of food and drink sent and our children had loads of questions.

It was a very cool day. The children actually got to prepare the food and try it! Some liked it, some didn't. We think it may have been the veges hidden in there!

Have you ever learnt about food science? Do you know anything about space food? let us know in the comments.


 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Korimako! Kātahi ra! What an awesome day for you all. And a really interesting inquiry. I love how happy everyone looks in the photos. It sounds like a really interesting process to learn about it.

    I wonder if space food is kind of like hiking food? Does it need to be dried and light? I'm guessing it would be hard to get fresh food in space. Might take Countdown a while to deliver.

    Keep up the great learning and blogging,
    :) Sharon - Te Ara Tūhura Education Programme Leader

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post